WELCOME

WELCOME to the Take Joy Society. We are a group of ladies who first met because of our love of Tasha Tudor's art and lifestyle. We are broadening our focus to include other artists/writers/people of interest who embody Tasha's philosophy to Take Joy in all the good that life has to offer. Here you will find a record of our get-togethers and resources to help you see that the gloom of the world is but a shadow so that you, too, can Take Joy by Creating Joy in your life!

Thursday, October 3, 2019

Amazing Tablescapes 2019

The ladies of the Take Joy Society got together this week to once again visit Washington County Fine Arts Museum's fundraiser "Amazing Tablescapes" in Hagerstown, Maryland.  Last year TJS member, Cindy Downs, entered her welded sculptures and was awarded this trophy for raising the most money through "votes" of $1 each placed in jars.  You can view last year's HERE


Cindy has a table once again this year, so we met up at the Museum to see it along with the other AMAZING tablescapes!  I've taken lots and lots of photos because there was SO much detail I didn't want you to miss a thing.  After reading through this post, I recommend that you go back to the beginning and click on the first photo which will enlarge them all (without the text) in slidehow form.  I've saved Cindy's for last.  We won't know if she receives the most votes until this weekend so come back here Monday, and I'll have announced the winner at the end of this post.  Here is a list of the designers for each table. . . .

Amazing Tablescapes concludes Saturday night with a $150-a-plate dinner.  Be sure to look for the gift the designers give each donor at their place setting.  Cindy's gift is an original 4 x 6 watercolor.  

# 1 HUNDRED ACRE WOOD









#2  RUN FOR THE ROSES





#3 JOURNEY OF A LIFETIME ABOARD THE ORIENT EXPRESS






#4 ODE TO FRIDA KAHLO








#5 RHYTHM & BLUES - THE BLUU






#6 SPELLBOUND






#7 THE ROAD THAT BUILT A NATION





#8 BEAUTY AND THE PARK - A SISTER-SAN PRODUCTION

























#9 JAPANESE FIBER ARTS FANTASY






#10 NEPTUNE'S NUISANCE





#11 A STATE DINNER


















#12 HANDS ACROSS THE OCEAN





#14 ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS....






#15 CASABLANCA







#16 ART-CHITECTURE OF HAGERSTOWN







#13 THE ART LESSON




This is the bird perched on the easel taking a picture of the artist (smile for the birdie!)






















Cindy's "artist's" original watercolor painting and tablescape #8 drew their inspiration from the City Park outside the museum. . . .




Afterwards we walked the Culture Walk (which you can see in THIS PREVIOUS POST as well as more photos of the City Park) to downtown where we had lunch. . . .

They had a room dedicated to art. . . .




And the winner of the most votes was:  #10 Neptune's Nuisance

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What amazing creativity. I am not sure some of them would be entirely practical for serving food, or sitting around, but such ingenuity and inspiration, full of amazing ideas and execution. I don't particularly like the Freida Kahlo, but only because I don't care for skulls. The Japanese textile one is probably the most practical, and I like it a lot how it seems to float above the space. Having already brought the Festival of Christmas Trees concept to my village, I am now wondering if I could adapt this for a new, novel fundraiser. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you share what you come up with. They remove the place settings and only leave the centerpiece when they serve the actual dinner Saturday night for the fundraising Gala.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for all the photos here, Cathy - this event at the Museum is just amazing. I loved scrolling through every photo & feasting my eyes on all the details!!! I pored over the photos here. Although I usually end up feeling like the least-creative lump in the history of the world, I love seeing how creative others can be. I can't believe your friend Cathy didn't win - those creations of hers with the saucepan lid hats, and coils for hair etc etc are just outstanding. The colors were unbelievable too. I also loved the State Dinner tablescape, with all the individual President plates. And the Winnie the Pooh entry - every bit as amazing. If I had to vote, I would NEVER be able to make up my mind. They were all incredible. I think I recognized some of the china patterns too. Did I ever mention that when I was a teacher, I also had a PT job as the bridal registry consultant at one of our area's department store? I learned a boatload about china, crystal & silver there - more than anyone NEEDS to know, actually haha - and every once in a while I recognize a china or silver pattern somewhere. Even stemware sometimes. Well, this was - AGAIN - a terrific event to see. A unique idea for a fundraiser too - perfect for a museum. Hope they made a mountain of $$ from it. Thanks for posting about it. Continue to enjoy your Maryland Fall! ❤️🍂🍁❤️😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The voting is determined by how much money is donated to your jar, so if you have lots of friends or family that are willing to part with their money, you WIN! They raised $45,000!

      Delete

I appreciate your taking the time to comment! Please note: To prevent spam, comments are published after moderation.