WELCOME

WELCOME to the Take Joy Society. We are a group of ladies who first met because of our love of Tasha Tudor's art and lifestyle. We are broadening our focus to include other artists/writers/people of interest who embody Tasha's philosophy to Take Joy in all the good that life has to offer. Here you will find a record of our get-togethers and resources to help you see that the gloom of the world is but a shadow so that you, too, can Take Joy by Creating Joy in your life!

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Hygge

“To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty,
a picture which was never seen before and which shall never be seen again.”

– Ralph Waldo Emerson

🍁For those of you who follow Morning Musings you know that I spent a week in the English countryside last May.  Walking on the Lake District paths along moss-covered stone walls, through pastures of sheep and cows, over hill and dale had a profound affect on me.  I've always loved being outside.  Whether it's hanging clothes on the line, gardening, or hiking in the woods, I've always felt it to be a place I belonged.  The first thing I do in the morning is open the blinds and whenever I can I open the window to my bedroom bringing the outdoors in.

🍁Upon my return from England I began seeing articles, blogs, and books on the value of getting close to nature and realized I needed to be even more intentional about it.  I was introduced to Emma Mitchell's blog, Silverpebble, through Twitter and am excitedly awaiting her newest book, The Wild Remedy:  How Nature Mends Us - A Diary, due out in January.  About it she writes:

This is a diary of the curative effect of my walks in green places & is full of my illustrations. I hope it will encourage others to get outside.



🍁It will contain lovely drawings and watercolors such as these. . . .


🍁In the meantime I found her first book, Making Winter, in our library and would like to share a bit from it. . . .


🍁Hygge (pronounced "hooga") is a Danish term to describe how the Danish spend their long, dark winters.  The term embodies "coziness, candlelight, nature, and meeting and eating with friends."  Emma has taken it a step further and added crafts and baking to her list for making winter bearable.  She found that when she did these activities she felt "somewhat less like an irascible hibernating bear."  She has several crochet projects as well as recipes.  If she couldn't be out-of-doors because of the weather, she could bring the outdoors in.  Below are several projects that appealed particularly to me.

🍁Preserving Autumn Flora. . . .




🍁Five-Minute Molten Chocolate Cake in a Mug. . . .



🍁Watercolor Botanical Motifs. . . .




🍁She also writes for Countryfile magazine and has a blog post there on how to draw feathers which is also in her book.  And while you are there you can check out the other features at Countryfile, a magazine about exploring the British countryside.

🍁I will be doing more posts in this series I'm calling Take Joy in Nature.  I hope you will use the resources I track down to take you closer to nature--especially as we head into winter.

🍁Take Joy🍁







8 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, Cathy! I love the thought of making winter cozier inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have any suggestions, feel free to include them here. I'll include them in a future post! 🍁

      Delete
  2. Cathy, I've been thinking of what project I'd enjoy this winter for some time now. I want to get back into hand embroidery work that I enjoyed years ago. Looking at patterns and colors I'm deciding where I want to begin. I used to do cross-stitch hand work, but my eyes would no longer cooperate. Hopefully doing embroidery hand work will be enjoyable. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What sort of things do you want to embroider? Have you ever seen Grandma Moses's "yarn" pictures? She did some very fine embroidery. I included some of her embroidery in my March 2016 post on this blog.

      Delete
    2. I was thinking of embroidering pillow cases and maybe a dresser scarf. I'll take a look at your past post. ♥

      Delete
    3. Sounds like they'd make lovely gifts, too.

      Delete
  3. I too love the outdoors. I'm looking forward to seeing what you may draw. I just may try the chocolate cake in a mug! Thanks for sharing Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you been able to do more camping lately?!

      Delete

I appreciate your taking the time to comment! Please note: To prevent spam, comments are published after moderation.