WELCOME

WELCOME to the Take Joy Society. We are a group of ladies who first met because of our love of Tasha Tudor's art and lifestyle. We are broadening our focus to include other artists/writers/people of interest who embody Tasha's philosophy to Take Joy in all the good that life has to offer. Here you will find a record of our get-togethers and resources to help you see that the gloom of the world is but a shadow so that you, too, can Take Joy by Creating Joy in your life!

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Great Britain Adventure Get-Together

The Take Joy Society met this month at Edie's cabin to experience a British afternoon tea followed by a slideshow of her visit to England and Wales last September.  Edie shows us the box of Yorkshire tea she brought back from England. . . .

The table was set and waiting for us. . . .

We helped ourselves to tea. . . .

Edie served scones with Devonshire cream and various jams, cucumber sandwiches and Malvern Pudding. . . .

A Malvern Pudding recipe (lower right) can be found here.

We sang Happy Birthday to Debra and Carol who had birthday's this month.  I stuck a candle in their pudding. . . .

After our tea we gathered back on the comfortable couch and watched Edie's slideshow. . . .

Edie began her slideshow in the Cotswolds.  Here are a few of the photos her husband, Doug, took, which I photographed off the computer screen. . . .

There were many ancient churches to tour. . . .

Soon we were out in the countryside walking the public paths. . . .

Hadrian's Wall extends from the west coast to the east coast of England. . . .

In Cornwall Doug took this photo from the ruins of Tintagel Castle, the legendary castle of King Arthur. . . .

Wales had its own charms. . . .

They spent a week in the Lake District and toured Hill Top, Beatrix Potter's sanctuary. . . .

Upper photo:  Horse brasses surrounding the kitchen stove
Lower photo:  Beatrix's doll house

Interestingly, Edie has a collection of horse brasses that her mother brought back from visits to England. . . .

Part of their stay was with friends who took them on a tour of Oxford. . . .

Edie told us some of the different words that the English use such as boot for the trunk of the car and that they call our Interstate highways dual carriage ways.  HERE are some more words that are different.  She also gave us the different pronunciations for words such as aluminum and controversy.  HERE is a list of other words that are pronounced differently.  She also noted that the B&Bs did not provide wash cloths, nor did their friends, and many places used duvets in lieu of a top sheet.  We may not think of Britain as a foreign country because we both speak English, but it would be a good thing to brush up on their customs and different meanings for words besides needing to know their currency and measurements (metric) if you are ever able to visit.

We closed out the afternoon as Edie read to us from the new book she is working on. . . .

It will be titled "A Smudge of Smoke Against the Sky" and features a steamboat on the Chesapeake Bay in the 1920s.  She was inspired to write this story because the doors in her cabin were from a steamboat (see photo on wall behind her).  The key to a room on the steamboat hangs above one of the several doors in her cabin. . . . .

Her front door is also from the steamboat. . . .


Thank you, Edie, for hosting a delightful afternoon!

❤️Take Joy❤️



12 comments:

  1. It must have been a delightful visit about your friend's trip to England. As you know England holds a special place in my heart. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to hear first-hand stories about a place you hope to visit one day.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the lovely tour of England and the delish food you made. That pudding is a must try..and I love making scones too. I learned a great deal on this trip and loved the steam boat doors so much. My friend lives in Kendal and when I talk with him on the phone it is always interesting. He is Scots Irish and has a beautiful reading voice he has trained . He was originally form Liverpool and told me of all the dialects there..it is amazing. Yes, I agree , study up the language before going to visit or even talk on the p hone..btanks again for the wonderful photos and adventure. Merri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Merri, just to be clear, Edie made the food. The pudding was very good, indeed.

      Delete
  3. I too enjoyed being there in spirit. Just looking at her cabin & knowing that I saw the outside when you & I went to water her plants. Lovely home & the slide show makes me want to travel. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my ... be still, my heart! LOG CABIN - eeek! Great Britain! Hilltop! Tea party! What a treasure of a day; thank you for sharing, Cathy. I was surprised and happy to see the two photos which, I presume, were taken inside Hilltop? Looking forward to the time when you share with us your own visit there :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sharon! The afternoon had all the elements of a great time--friends, an English tea, log cabin, photos and discussion of Great Britain--plus I could just walk over since Edie is my neighbor!

      Delete
  5. Warning: Broken record comment coming up. I'm just back from FOUR HOURS of browsing around the various links you included in this post, Cathy. No kidding, reading one of your posts is OFTEN like taking a college mini-course. Or at least a single class period. And I know I ALWAYS say it, but gosh darn it, it's always TRUE. I even watched the video for making Malvern pudding. Yum. The links usually send me looking at OTHER links too, which is how the time begins to add up. But I'm just drying & folding laundry today. And it's a quiet, very chilly, dreary gray January day here and I had a fresh French press full of hot coffee ready to go. So the scene was set and it was perfect for wandering around the Web on my nice warm computer. Please thank Edie for me too. If she hadn't taken the trip, I wouldn't have been able to "take her class." Is she a fan of Susan Branch too? Sounded like her trip was very much like the one Susan did in 2012. Have a great weekend! 💛

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always excited to learn, Janet, that you find my posts informative and entertaining. You are always so sweet to tell me how much you like them, which is an added bonus. It sounds like you have made a cozy nest for yourself. We are expecting ice down our way tomorrow so we may be nesting ourselves. Edie likes Susan Branch but I don't think she is avid like I am! I'll be sure she sees your comment. ❤️

      Delete
  6. So glad you all enjoyed Cathy's write-up of our delightful afternoon. I loved having everyone visit my log cabin and sharing photos from my trip to England!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing it all - & Happy New Year!
      Janet

      PS - we share the same china pattern, Edie. The beautiful Royal Worcester, Evesham. Did you know that Princess Diana also selected it in 1981 when she registered for gifts - for HER wedding? How about that! My one claim to fame - Princess Di & I had the same china!! ✨

      Delete

I appreciate your taking the time to comment! Please note: To prevent spam, comments are published after moderation.