WELCOME

WELCOME to the Take Joy Society. We are a group of ladies who first met because of our love of Tasha Tudor's art and lifestyle. We are broadening our focus to include other artists/writers/people of interest who embody Tasha's philosophy to Take Joy in all the good that life has to offer. Here you will find a record of our get-togethers and resources to help you see that the gloom of the world is but a shadow so that you, too, can Take Joy by Creating Joy in your life!

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Simple Abundance - October

Simple Abundance

If I could pick only one favorite month of the year I'd have to choose October.  I'm sure it has to do with the vivid colors this time of year.  Spring's colors are certainly lovely, but the colors are more pastel except for an occasional bright red tulip๐ŸŒทor deep yellow daffodil.   I can see myself in Anne Mary Lawler's description of October "dressing in flame and gold like a woman afraid of growing old."  I've always loved color and tend to buy colorful clothing, but as I grow older I find that colors speak to me even more.

This month Sarah Ban Breathnach's Joyful Simplicities from "Simple Abundance" include these possibilities. . . .

๐Ÿ     Plan an outing to a pumpkin patch of farmers' market.  Select the perfect jack-o-lantern, but get an assortment of smaller pumpkins on which to carve different designs๐ŸŽƒ, like checkerboards, hearts, or the moon and stars.  Pie pumpkins are the perfect size for creating luminaries for steps or driveways, and midget pumpkins make charming votive candle holders for dinner tables.

๐Ÿ     Create a seasonal table.  Set aside one small space on which to arrange an autumnal still life:  wheat sheaves, pumpkins, gourds, Indian corn, or bittersweet, with bouquets of dried flowers and preserved autumn leaves.

๐Ÿ     If you live in a four-season climate, take a Sunday drive in the country to revel in Mother Nature's flamboyant fancy dress.  Pack a picnic.  Linger as long as you can.

๐Ÿ     Mull cider and/or wine on the weekends for an autumn cup of cheer, especially delightful after raking leaves!

For years I planned an autumn get-away for my family during the long Columbus Day weekend.  The boys loved hiking in the woods and following the trails to hidden water falls.  Now that it's just the two of us our choices of when and where to go and where to stay have opened up considerably.  The world-wide web has certainly helped facilitate finding wonderful places.  Here are some we've been to. . . .
Eagles Mere, PA

Glenlaurel Inn, Ohio

New Castle, DE

Skyline Drive, VA

Western Maryland

World's End State Park, PA

Little Grand Canyon, PA

I also love decorating my house for Autumn.  I even change my dining room curtains from blue to red and summer paintings to autumn scenes. . . .



It is also a time to change my menu.  Now I'll make Sausage-Bean Chowder with pumpernickel bread, Meatloaf with acorn squash and baked potato, Beef Brisket with mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts, Chili with crackers and butter, Sauerkraut and Pork with potato pancakes and peas, Beef Stew with corn bread, to name a few--all dishes I haven't had in months!

What about you?  What delights you about Autumn?  Do you change your decor?  Go "leaf peeping" (as it's called in my part of the country)?

.•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•
Take Joy!

10 comments:

  1. Cathy, your Fall sounds VERY much like my middle sister's. She has been the Queen of Seasonal Decorating in our family since she was about 10. And Fall is hands-down her favorite. She doesn't even wait for "official" Fall. She packs up her Summer things Labor Day weekend, and all the Fall stuff come out. It's literally a highlight of her year. She has a truly massive collection now too. Five or six of those big Rubbermaid totes [the orange & black ones]. The cutest things - all sorts of silk & dried flower things, little figurines, framed paintings & prints, scarves & mats for tables, placemats & napkins, curtains, books - you name it. October is without a doubt my favorite month too, but I don't change too much seasonally. Table linens, kitchen towels, silk flower arrangements. And I have the sweetest little fingertip towels for the bathroom with pumpkins appliqued on them. I think I received them from one of "my kids" the second year I was teaching. But I don't go too crazy with putting out things, because it only means it has to be taken down and re-packed again. And because of Christmas, we really get 3 weeks less of Fall time. Which, incidentally, has always been my sister's argument for why she gets her Fall things out around Sept 1, and doesn't wait for official Fall - LOL But I love the feeling of WANTING to cook again that comes with the chilly weather too, & stock up on chicken parts, pork roasts, meat for stew & chili etc. And I love that I need the lights on at dinnertime again. That's just the coziest feeling. Oh yes, October is absolutely my "busiest" time for "leaf-peeping" country drives too. And stopping at farmer's markets - buying too much produce usually - and roadside stands for maple syrup and jams! ๐Ÿ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading your description of Autumn, Janet, is fueling my enthusiasm even more! I already have our get-away booked and am excited about it. We're taking Gabriel with us this time. Can't wait to share it with everyone!

      Delete
  2. October is my favorite month of the year as well, Cathy. We were married in October and both of us are October babies. We have always taken a little trip in the month of October to celebrate. For years we would visit the mountains and enjoy nature's beauty. Lately we've ventured further away from home for our celebration that is not necessarily fall like.
    Sarah's suggestion for welcoming Autumn has always interested me. Your red drapes certainly look seasonal along with your pretty autumn touches. Like you, I'm looking forward to making soups and stews and pot pies as the weather cools. It breathes new life into my menus. Here's hoping that October doesn't pass as quickly as September. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday and Anniversary this month, Martha Ellen! Where will you go this month to celebrate? Today would have been my Dad's 97th birthday. He also passed away in the month of October, so it is a bittersweet month in more ways than one for me.

      Delete
    2. Cathy - today would have been my Mom's 84th birthday. How about that? Happy Birthday to them both! ❤️

      Delete
    3. My Daddy's birthday was in October as well. I was almost born on his birthday but "chose" my uncle's birthday instead. October is a very busy month in my family. My nephew and brother in law's birthday along with us. ♥

      Delete
    4. April is becoming that for our family--two birthdays now and an anniversary.

      Delete
  3. October was my Mom's birth month too. She was born in 1917 & passed on to our Lord in 2007 after a courageous battle against ovarian cancer. I miss her still, but know she is rejoicing with our Maker. I also miss the Fall colors after spending my childhood years in Michigan. I enjoyed this post & plan on making your chowder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom was a very nice lady. She always made me feel a part of the family.

      Delete

I appreciate your taking the time to comment! Please note: To prevent spam, comments are published after moderation.