WELCOME

WELCOME to the Take Joy Society. We are a group of ladies who first met because of our love of Tasha Tudor's art and lifestyle. We are broadening our focus to include other artists/writers/people of interest who embody Tasha's philosophy to Take Joy in all the good that life has to offer. Here you will find a record of our get-togethers and resources to help you see that the gloom of the world is but a shadow so that you, too, can Take Joy by Creating Joy in your life!

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Beatrix Potter Tea Party Get-Together

The Take Joy Society members got together today to celebrate Spring with a Beatrix Potter Tea Party!

When everyone arrived they browsed my collection of books by and about Beatrix Potter. . . .


After which lunch was served. . . .

The Menu was mostly from Susan Wittig Albert's "Cottage Tales" website*:

Pea Soup
Cucumber Sandwiches*
Tomato Dill Sandwiches*
Ham Salad Pinwheels
Nutty Cheeseball w/apple slices*
Lemon Lavender Mint Iced Tea

The recipes marked with an asterisk can be found HERE.

The Pea Soup recipes comes from "An English Cottage Year" by Sally Holmes & Tracey Williamson. . . .

At each place setting I put a violet plant in a teacup that was to go home with each member. . . .

We watched a short video about Beatrix Potter that can be found in the extras on the DVD "Miss Potter".  Here is another short biography on Beatrix. . . .

               


Then we made English cottages using cardboard, glue, moss, and plaster, sticks, and pebbles. . . .



We took a break for tea and carrot cupcakes*. . . .

Then resumed working on our cottages.  Here are the ones that were finished before everyone had to leave. . . .




I chose Beatrix Potter as our theme because she was an example of someone who took what gifts she had and shared them with others and in doing so found great joy in the process.  She'd always loved to draw and think up stories and shared them in picture letters to children she knew.  Eventually she thought other children might enjoy them, too, so she endeavored to have them made into a book.   When she couldn't find a publisher she self-published and the rest is history.  This year is the 150th anniversary of her birth (July 28).   She wrote and illustrated 28 books for children, but then went on to become a sheep farmer, raising prize Herdford Sheep.  She is also known for her philanthropy for having donated 4,000 acres of land in the Lake District to the National Trust which millions of people enjoy each year for it's bucolic scenery.

.•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•
Take Joy!





10 comments:

  1. What lovely cottages your group made, Cathy. Your menu and crafts are always so creative and joyful! Long live the spirit of Beatrix Potter and her gift of joy! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your idea of the take home violets in a teacup! I also enjoyed seeing the old English homesteads! You do such a great job of entertaining your guests! Love, Sis xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy! What an absolutely charming gathering!!
    You certainly are a masterful party planner!! The cottages came out so lovely and I also loved the violets in the cups!! The setting and menu look perfect!! It is so nice to see all the fun you all had together!!! Thanks for sharing dear one, Love, Blessings and much Joy , Linnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely day you ladies spent! A great group of friends, a delicious tearoom-style lunch, PLUS extra treats! And those cute little English cottages to show for it too. Every time you post about Beatrix it sends me to my own bookshelves to look at the "Peter Rabbit" books I have myself. A very pleasant task. That's how I think of them, as "Peter Rabbit" books - because I really didn't know all that much about Beatrix herself until I was in college and became interested in children's literature. I only have a few BP books - "Peter Rabbit," "Squirrel Nutkin," "Benjamin Bunny," and "Jemima Puddle-Duck." but your posts always make me want more. And I think I'd want them to be vintage books too. More authentic, dontcha think? I do have all 4 of the seasonal "Brambly Hedge" stories by Jill Barklem, who is a bit of a modern-day Beatrix in the UK. At least as far as being a writer and illustrator. Are you familiar with her? I discovered her books when I was working my part-time bridal registry job in the 80s. Our store stocked the gorgeous English bone chinaware that illustrated the 4 seasons from Jill's "Brambly Hedge" series and I fell in love with them [I now have teacups and saucers from each season]. Like Beatrix, Jill does the most adorable little woodland animal characters too. About 15 years ago one of the cable TV channels for children ran an animated British series of the Brambly Hedge stories which I watched with my niece and nephew when they came over. We still talk about them from time to time... 🐰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have the Brambly Hedge books! I thought you'd like to know that our first grandson was born yesterday! We went to see him today. He was sleeping so I haven't seen his eyes yet. He has his daddy's nose and dimple. Mother and baby are doing well.

      Delete
    2. Oh that's great news! This is your middle son's baby, right? Olivia's little brother is not due for a little while still, right? Congratulations all over the place! You must be thrilled. Plus you can buy a color other than pink now too. I can totally remember a shower we had at my university office and the father-to-be arrived to help his wife tote everything home. In the reception area she was showing him all the goodies she'd been given, and then she had to make a bathroom stop - of course she was in her 9th month. We were talking while he was waiting for her and suddenly he looked around and said "When does everything STOP being pink?" And I said, "I guess - when you have a boy..." LOL. OK promise to include photos and details soon. Showers of blessings on the new family and new grandchild. And a lil cousin for Olivia too!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Janet! Having a grandson brings back memories of my own baby sons, only this one is 2 lbs. smaller than his Daddy was! He's the same length, though--21 inches.

      Delete

I appreciate your taking the time to comment! Please note: To prevent spam, comments are published after moderation.