WELCOME

WELCOME to the Take Joy Society. We are a group of ladies who first met because of our love of Tasha Tudor's art and lifestyle. We are broadening our focus to include other artists/writers/people of interest who embody Tasha's philosophy to Take Joy in all the good that life has to offer. Here you will find a record of our get-togethers and resources to help you see that the gloom of the world is but a shadow so that you, too, can Take Joy by Creating Joy in your life!

Friday, September 1, 2017

❤️ of the Home - September





Susan Branch knows how to make her home cozy when the air begins to turn chilly on Martha's Vineyard. . . .



The first thing I do as soon as Labor Day has passed is decorate for Autumn.  I change my Spring/Summer blue and white curtains to the Autumn/Winter red toile curtains.  Down come the silk summer flowers. Up go the Autumn leaves and berry garlands.  These are the Autumn colors for making a home cozy. . . .

And of course I always put out Susan's Autumn cookbook. . . .


I highly recommend this cookbook, which is much more than just a book of recipes.  If you ❤️ Autumn you really, really must own a copy of this book.  Last year she republished a 10th Anniversary edition.  You can buy it HERE.

In 2007 Country Living magazine did a wonderful Autumn article about Susan.  You can find it HERE.





Here are a few of the recipes from the Autumn cookbook. . . .

And what better than this Corn Bread to go with the chili. . . .

Or this one. . . .

This recipe was in the Country Living article. . . .


You'll love her Corn Chowder recipe, too!  And you can find more recipes for Autumn on her website:  Home Cooking Fall




Susan also has recipes using apples. . . .










September is a wonderful time to visit Martha's Vineyard.  The summer crowds have left, but most of the shops and restaurants are still open.  We went for a week in September 2012 and had the most WONDERFUL time.  It was truly a wish come true for me even though, try as I might, I never ran into Susan.  However, we did drive past her house several times on our travels.  We stayed in a charming converted carriage house in Vineyard Haven. . . .

If you would like to read about our week on Martha's Vineyard start HERE then after you read the post, scroll down to the very end of the page and click on "Newer Post" for the next installment.  There are 9 in all!

Last September Susan and Joe were in England.  They held a Bring-Your-Own-Picnic-Basket get-together for FOSB (Friends of Susan Branch) at Stourhead in Wiltshire.  You can read about it HERE.  Susan and Joe will be returning to England next Spring and will once again be holding the BYO Picnic.  This time it will be held in the garden of Castle Cottage!

And guess what!  I will be there!  If you want to learn more about it check out Susan's Willard Newsletter HERE.


How do you celebrate Autumn?
and should not be used
for commercial purposes


 ❤️Take Joy❤️

4 comments:

  1. You. Will. Be. There! Eek!! Now I'll be doubly excited to be an armchair traveler; how wonderful for you. Looking forward to all that will unfold ...

    Sharon in Alabama

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one does Fall like Susan Branch, right Cathy? Your post today has definitely put me in a Fall mindset, especially since here in upstate New York we're experiencing a weather change [the low temp for the last few nights has been in the high 40s - !!! - a welcome change from the quite-warm & wet Summer we've had so far. But I'm a purist. I don't start Fall decor or activities until Fall actually comes later in September. I have a sister who does what you do though. She considers Fall to be September, October & November - and she has already begun to do her house. She has 100s of seasonal things and loves Fall the best, & decorates to the hilt! Needless to say, she's in pig heaven right now. We had a picnic at one of my brothers' homes yesterday - he did a huge beautiful brisket on his smoker [YUM] and of course we had our usual campfire on his patio afterward. The wind was fairly chilly & we all had fleece jackets on around the fire - it was VERY Fall all in all. And what's this?? You're going to England next year??? Wow, that is terrific news! Never been there but have been in quite a few other European countries. You're going to have the BEST time!! I'm sure you've have a thoroughly-researched itinerary & will see an enormous amount. No one travels better than you & Ken, in my humble opinion at least. Are you taking Olivia maybe? She's been to Italy, right? I bet she'd LOVE to see Beatrix Potter's home, where Peter Rabbit lives etc. I hope you'll blog about it like you do when you visit "domestic" locations. I have learned so much that I wouldn't have known otherwise from your posts. Even when it's "just" a garden tour at a location near your home, I learn new things - and I love that! You're a teacher at heart, I think. Anyway it's very exciting news & I'm delighted for you. Your 50th anniversary too? You definitely do not look old enough to be celebrating a 50th anything, but congratulations to you both. That is QUITE the accomplishment!! I'm glad you're celebrating it in such a grand way - you deserve it. Have a great Labor Day & a great week! Peace. 💛

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your congratulations and all! You can be sure I will blog about it when I get home. Olivia is a little to young to travel I think, but I definitely do hope to take her places when she's older--if I'm not too old by then! I married when I was 18 so 2019 is coming up quick for our 50th! In years past I have waited until the autumnal equinox but this year the cooler weather has gotten me in the mood to do it next week--although, now they're saying it's going to be in the 80's tomorrow! So we shall see. I have gotten my yearly potted Mums already, though, for the front step.

      Delete

I appreciate your taking the time to comment! Please note: To prevent spam, comments are published after moderation.