WELCOME

WELCOME to the Take Joy Society. We are a group of ladies who first met because of our love of Tasha Tudor's art and lifestyle. We are broadening our focus to include other artists/writers/people of interest who embody Tasha's philosophy to Take Joy in all the good that life has to offer. Here you will find a record of our get-togethers and resources to help you see that the gloom of the world is but a shadow so that you, too, can Take Joy by Creating Joy in your life!

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Susan Branch Christmas Luncheon


The Take Joy Society got together today for a Susan Branch Christmas Luncheon.  I've been a fan of Susan's art for years.  I was finally able to meet her at the Friends of Gladys Taber Reunion last year.  She is a gracious and inspiring lady, always full of joy for life and people.

While I finished getting everything ready in the kitchen with the help of my terrific husband, everyone had a chance to look through Susan's books. . . .
There was so much more I could have put out:  calendars, recipe holder books, scrapbook pages, journals of all kinds!

I used recipes from Susan's books and website.  I served Cucumber, Egg Salad, and Chicken Salad sandwiches.  I liked the added touch of minced parsley on the edges of the cucumber sandwiches. . . .

I decided to omit the endive in the Orange Watercress Salad as Susan suggested if the endive was too bitter, and it was fine without it. . . .

I used raspberries and blackberries in the Fresh Fruit Salad.  The topping made it a real treat . . . .

And the Rice Pudding, hot right out of the oven, was a hit--real comfort food. . . .


My table was decorated in the style of Susan Branch. . . .

........With dangling prisms on candle bobeches, Rose Chintz dishes, Christmas crackers as name placecards (mine contained chocolate kisses).  It was even remarked that the wrapping paper on my gift to my guests, "Christmas Joys," looked like Susan's style of painting. . . . .


Here we are ready to eat.  Two of our members were not able to join us for lunch, unfortunately. . . .

 After lunch we exchanged gifts--handmade ornaments. . . .
I herded everyone downstairs so we could look at Susan's Blog on the big Screen TV.  I showed them these Christmas-themed posts by Susan as well as Yankee Magazine's photo shoot:


I had several crafts in mind for us:  Moravian Stars and Snowflakes (click for tutorials), but I decided on this Christmas Star.  They are really easy to make.  Here is a tutorial:
              

Here are the ones we made. . . .
I thought they'd be nice to string on a ribbon to make a garland.

By now it was mid-afternoon--time for a tea break.  I served Lemon Pepper Tea Biscuits,  Ginger Crisps, and Snowballs along with Susan's Apricot Jam Tea. . . .

I made these in my heart-shaped cast iron pan.  I love pepper, but I think I got carried away with TOO much pepper on mine and not enough sugar. . . .
 Susan also makes these with chocolate chips.  You can find that recipe on this post.

These turned out great. . . .
 as did these. . . .
We discussed our upcoming plans:  a class on writing a children's picture book led by Edie (who is a published author) with a visit to a nearby Museum that is featuring the art of the Little Golden Books; a Beatrix Potter/Peter Rabbit-themed afternoon; a plant shopping expedition to Landis Valley Villages's annual plant sale, and our postponed Grandma Moses Painting Party.  We ended the afternoon finding out whose tea cup saucer had the Susan Branch sticker affixed to the bottom.   It was Carol!  Which meant she won Susan's first cookbook:  HEART OF THE HOME. . . .

Susan's latest book is The Fairy Tale Girl. . . .

Based on the diaries Susan has kept since she was in her twenties, The Fairy Tale Girl is an illustrated memoir filled with original watercolors and personal photographs. Susan's new book is an age-old story of love and loss, mystery and magic that begins in a geranium-colored house in California and ends up, like any good fairy tale, on the right side of the rabbit hole, in a small cottage in the woods on the New England Island of Martha's Vineyard. 


The sequel to this book, MARTHA'S VINEYARD ISLE OF DREAMS, will be out in the Spring and can be pre-ordered  HERE.

Check out Susan's Blog:  www.susanbranch.com


•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•
Take Joy!




14 comments:

  1. Oh what fun and joy!! You are such a fun and clever and gracious hostess!! Everything came together so lovely and everybody looks like they greatly enjoyed themselves :-)
    Thanks for sharing I pretended that I was there :-)
    XX OO Hugs, love amd blessings, Linnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy, I chuckled at the picture of the place setting! Was that for me?!
    You did a beautiful job and loved your project. I would love to make a garland of stars, so cute. But not this year.....my weekend in Ohio seems to have put me behind 2 weeks! But worth every minute. I am going to have to do some major hustling to be ready for Christmas. I really need to retire.
    All your food looked great. I know Susan would be pleased! In the words of her dad, you done good!
    Chris W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Chris, that WAS for you (in spirit). ☺︎ I like to think all of Susan's FOSB were in attendance. Thank you for your sweet word of praise. ❤️

      Delete
  3. Wow, you certainly were channeling Susan at your party, Cath. I think I have all the same books, except for The Fairy Tale Girl. Looks like it went beautifully - thanks to all your hard work. Personally I've wanted to make that watercress salad for a while now, but my grocery store doesn't EVER carry watercress - no kidding. And we don't have any Whole Foods around here either. Maryland must be more advanced in a culinary sense than we bohunks in western New York - LOL! That apricot jam tea sounds yummy too - perfect for your afternoon. I'm not usually much for flavored coffees or teas - I like my coffee to taste like coffee basically. But that tea really sounds tasty. And warm-from-the-oven rice pudding? If I'd been there, I think you might have had some trouble getting me to leave... LOL. You have a lot of great 'Take Joy' plans for the New Year too. One thing I'm sure about - there's no dust accumulating on you. You're always busy with something, or just about to be. And THAT is a very good thing, my friend. Enjoy the rest of your Christmas planning! Take care and talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Janet. The only dust accumulating around here is on my furniture. Not every market here carries watercress. I found "live" watercress (with the roots attached) at Wegman's. Even though I kept it in a glass of water it did not survive the 5 days in the refrigerator. So I had to send Ken out that morning to look for more (somewhere closer than the Wegman's) and he found bagged watercress at Weis. It was the "baby" kind and actually better. The next time I make the rice pudding I'm only going to put in half the raisins. I'm not a big fan of raisins and a cup is too much for me.

      Delete
  4. What a joy filled time with your friends, Cathy. You have captured the essence of the spirit of Susan Branch. I certainly hope she reads this post. Your menu, the craft and the fellowship look like a wonderful way to gather with kindred spirits. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun to do a Susan Branch Christmas Luncheon! The recipes I have used from her blog have all been delicious. The table settings are perfect! I'm sure everyone left with a warm, joy filled heart!

    I found The Fairy Tale Girl waiting for me under the Christmas tree! I'm saving it for mid-January :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great. Wish I could have been there! Where do you have your meetings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin! I live in Maryland and the get-togethers have been at my house. But the next two months other members are hosting at their houses.

      Delete
  7. I think I'm a little late to the party! I was just scrolling through the Internet and ran into this! I missed it! But I was ALMOST there, and it looked delicious and fun! Thank you Cathy! ♥️ Susan Branch www.susanbranch.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping you'd see it! Better late than never. 💕

      Delete

I appreciate your taking the time to comment! Please note: To prevent spam, comments are published after moderation.