WELCOME

WELCOME to the Take Joy Society. We are a group of ladies who first met because of our love of Tasha Tudor's art and lifestyle. We are broadening our focus to include other artists/writers/people of interest who embody Tasha's philosophy to Take Joy in all the good that life has to offer. Here you will find a record of our get-togethers and resources to help you see that the gloom of the world is but a shadow so that you, too, can Take Joy by Creating Joy in your life!

Thursday, October 1, 2015

October Celebrations



October, in Mary Mason Campbell's book, The New England Butt'ry Shelf Almanac, illustrated by  Tasha Tudor, includes stories about  Marigolds, Phoebes, and Sherman Pliny Fellows, a village blacksmith.  It also has Pumpkin recipes for Chiffon Pie, Custard, Fritters and Cookies. . .

This month in Tasha's A Time to Keep she celebrates Autumn by making apple cider and pumpkin moonshines. . . .
Click on photos to enlarge

Tasha's first book, Pumpkin Moonshine, was the first of her calico books.  Sylvie Ann's pumpkin ends up rolling down the hill, terrorizing everyone in its path.  But in the end Sylvie Ann gets her Pumpkin Moonshine. . . .

When my boys were still home we made jack-o-lanterns or pumpkin moonshines as Tasha called them. . . .

A few years ago I was feeling nostalgic and decided to invite my boys and spouses to a Pumpkin Carving Contest. . . .


We try to plan a weekend away in Autumn when the leaves have changed.  Sometimes we go hiking and other times we just drive along country roads.  Last year we visited the Endless Mountains region of Pennsylvania . . . .
This was my post about our trip last year:  Endless Mountains  We will be going up there again this month.  This time we've rented a house, and the whole family will be coming up.

All these activities bring me Joy because not only are all my senses being delighted by all there is to see, feel, smell, hear, and taste this time of year,  I'm also spending time with the people I love.  To top it off, I get to share it with all of you!

.•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•
Take Joy!

6 comments:

  1. Enjoy your special time with those you love, Cathy. The pumpkin carving party is a great idea for gathering everyone together. Very creative carvers in your family! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. October is certainly full of fun at your house, Cathy. Olivia is going to love Fall & Halloween with Grandma & Grandpa! What an original idea - a pumpkin party with your grown children. Wish our family had done that. I've spent Halloween with my brother & SIL since they had their kids though, just because I liked Halloween so much and never got any trick-or-treaters while I lived. Apartments never get many kids and when you do, they're often 6'4 so - no thanks. I would give out the treats at my brother's - and LOVED IT - while they took the little ones around. Unfortunately now "the little ones" are in their 20s. Bummer. Well, it was fun while it lasted, and Time Marches On. Does Olivia have her costume yet? She's probably only going to visit a few people that she knows well - like Grandma & Grandpa - since she's still pretty young, right? But Olivia seems to like every new activity she does, so I'm guessing that she'll be an enthusiastic trick-or-treater. May she & Gabriel can be a team! PS - I have a hardcover copy of Tasha's "Pumpkin Moonshines" book and put it out in my living room during October. Beautiful illustrations and a very cute story for little kids. Enjoy all your Fall plans and be safe if the hurricane or rains are coming in your direction. Take care and talk to you soon. 🎃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know yet what Olivia will wear for Halloween. Last year I'd found some costumes for her at yard sales. Her mommy chose the monkey one for a party her mommy and daddy went to. I dressed her up in both costumes and posted the photo last year here: http://cathy-morningmusings.blogspot.com/2014/11/out-and-about-november.html ❤️ We HAVE gotten way too much rain--flooding in the area. Our guests are still here and today's rain may spoil our plans for today. We lost a couple trees, too, because the ground is so saturated.

      Delete
  3. I must try that recipe soon. I have no idea what butternuts are, so must go look them up. I guess, if you can use black walnuts then English walnuts would work too? Baking is one of the things that brings me joy, and so do these pictures and words today. Thank you! Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with butternuts either, although I have heard the word before. I haven't tried this recipe yet myself. I hope it turns out good. Let me know!

      Delete

I appreciate your taking the time to comment! Please note: To prevent spam, comments are published after moderation.